Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

[Submission] [Macros] Billboard  [SUBMITTED]

Moderator: SecondMan

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

[Submission] [Macros] Billboard

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Billboard allows displaying a large thumbnail of your comp directly in the flow view.
Place the macro/group inline in your flow or off to the side and it will render a large thumbnail of the input when the group or anything downstream is active in a viewer.
Place these billboards at key areas around a complex comp and find your way around easily even when the flow is zoomed out.
Turn on the text overlay for an easy-to-read nameing, version numbers, reminders or whatever else you desire.
Also, the displayed node inside the group is a paint tool. So with that node active, you can hand write a remark.

Changelog
v1.00 - 30.jan.2020
  • Initial Release (re-release for Reactor)
v1.01 - 30.jan.2020
  • minor adjustments
v1.02 - 02.feb.2020
  • minor adjustments
  • fixed a disconnected pipe router :oops:
  • Added a second macro so now there are two sizes to choose from
Todo:
  • Make control with 3 values to choose from which will change the zoom level and framing of the group to presets.
  • Make script button to refresh the thumbnail view on demand (need when updating the text input)

Atom file contents:

Code: Select all

Atom {
	Name = "Billboard",
	Category = "Tools/Flow",
	Author = "Sam Treadway",
	Version = 1.02,
	Date = {2020, 02, 02},
	Description = [[<There are two macros included: "Billboard" and "Billboard-Large"</p>
<p>These macros allow displaying a <strong>large</strong> thumbnail of your comp directly in the flow view.</p>
<p>Place the macro/group inline in your flow or off to the side and it will render a large thumbnail of the input when the group or anything downstream is active in a viewer.</p>
<p>Place these billboards at key areas around a complex comp and find your way around easily even when the flow is zoomed out.</p>
<p>Turn on the text overlay for easy-to-read naming, version numbers, reminders or whatever else you desire.</p>
<p>Also, the displayed node inside the group is a paint tool. With that node active, you can hand write a remark.</p>]],
	Donation = {
		URL = [[https://www.paypal.me/intelligentmachine]],
		Amount = "0.00",
	},

Deploy = {
		"Macros/Flow/Billboard-Large.setting",
		"Macros/Flow/Billboard-Large.png",
		"Macros/Flow/Billboard.setting",
		"Macros/Flow/Billboard.png",
	},
}

Atom directory:
com.SamTreadway.Billboard.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by intelligent machine on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Re: [Submission] [Macros] Billboard

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 am

want

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 27

Post by SecondMan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:57 pm

andromeda_girl wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 am
want
get!

Thanks for the (flawless) submission! Available in Reactor now! :cheer:

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Great!
I'm working on the next version which will have a selector to choose between a series of preset zoom levels...first I need to figure a few things out about running a script embedded within a macro that target the group's zoom level and width/height in the flow. The settings are all there but I haven't figured out how to get to them just yet.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:23 am

The atom has been updated to v1.02
There are now two versions of the macro "Billboard" and "Billboard-Large"

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Update v1.2 is available in Reactor now! :cheer:

drswoboda

Post by drswoboda » Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Anyone else having trouble with this working? I get no image in the Group node in the flow.

Currently using v1.02 from Reactor in Fusion Studio v16.2.1.

I have seen "issues" with Groups acting very funny, to the point of not wanting to use uncollapsed Groups due to display issues in the flow. Specifically, when I open a Group, in most cases the as soon as I click on the open Group icon in the flow, the nodes inside JUMP out of view, forcing me to EXTEND the Group node WINDOW to a bigger size to find the nodes. Panning does not work to locate the node.

This is very annoying and may be why this Billboard macro/group fails for me, as I can see that the node that displays the image is NOT centered in the Groupe node window, hence, no image or Billboard effect is shown.

Anyone else having these issues?
-David

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Fri May 01, 2020 7:25 pm

I'm curious what your global flow settings look like. I've never had an issue with it but then I'm the one who made it and have only ever used it the way it was intended.

I only ever get this:

It is nothing more or less than a group with a high zoom level and carefully (if not just short of perfectly) aligned borders around the thumbnail. The only thing I can suggest is to train yourself to grab the top titlebar area when dragging and to make sure you have the group itself and not the node within it selected when sending to a viewer.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 14

Post by Midgardsormr » Fri May 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Works perfectly for me. I was a little puzzled until I realized that it wasn't going to show the billboard until the tool actually caused a request, though. Viewing the macro itself or a tool downstream of it turned it on.

A little more experimenting suggests that maybe if you attempted to drag it to the Viewer from the center and didn't quite hit the target, then the view node might have gotten moved, particularly if you have Arrange Tools to Grid turned on.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Sun May 03, 2020 8:03 pm

Perhaps when I get some time I'll add a 'reset' button for it that injects the defaults in the ViewInfo tables.

@Midgardsormr Do you know of a handy way to cause a request on a Macro as soon as a connection is made to an input - as you would with OnConnected in a Fuse?
A 'hackaround' I thought of way back when I first made this so that you don't have to send it or a node downstream from it to the viewer, was to force a cache to disk for the current frame and then delete the cache immediately after. This could be added to a 'refresh' button otherwise.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 14

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon May 04, 2020 7:37 am

Nothing comes to mind. I'm not sure even a Fuse could force a request if it's not being viewed. I've never tried it, though.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Re: [Submission] [Macros] Billboard  [SUBMITTED]

Post by intelligent machine » Thu May 07, 2020 11:06 am

Here's version 1.51 which includes some new features:
  • An update button that will render the thumbnail even when the group is not displayed or in stream to the viewers.
  • A "Lock to current time" button that does just that. It updates the thumbnail at the current time and locks it from further automatic updates... Great if you want to pick a key frame. The locked frame number is displayed and can be updated or the frame lock removed.
  • Internal organizational optimizations.
com.SamTreadway.Billboard.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu May 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Nice one thank you!

Submitted :cheer: