Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Fix the single frame import drag&drop function.

Moderator: Chad

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Re: Fix the single frame import drag&drop function.

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 am

I agree with that. Any time I need to grab a single frame from a sequence (in most cases, a sequence that is already loaded and in use in the comp) I usually just use the time stretcher.
Also, If I'm taking the time to browse over an image sequence to import a single frame from it, then it only takes a few more seconds to either make a copy of the selected frame to a 'stills' folder or even better, make a symbolic link. I have a handy little Mac app that allows creating symlinks by selecting a destination folder and dragging the original into the app. This is better as updates to the original image sequence carry over to the symlinked stills.

There are some rare occasions where I want to pull in a single image that is not a part of a real image sequence (such as similar textures named wood_01, wood_02, etc.)...never enough to expect dragging singles as the default.

I would still like the option to drag in a folder and get multiple loaders for each nested sequence. This feature is of course already available in DaVinci Resolve, both in the media pool and fusion tab.

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post by thibaud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Midgardsormr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 am
As SecondMan pointed out, in 99%+ of cases, a Fusion artist is working with sequences.
that's an assumption, Personally I have used fusion way more often as a procedural creator rather than a sequence monger.
but even it it was a fact, I'd still argue that it doesn't justify implementing an unconventional and unpredictable (without visual clue) behavior.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 19

Post by Midgardsormr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Sure, it's an assumption, but it's one based on the target market of the software, which is visual effects compositors. Who work with sequences. I don't think it's reasonable or rational to change the entire paradigm of the software to accommodate an idiosyncratic use case.

Not that that's stopped BMD so far...

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Simple accommodation...

When you drag a single file in, the LD already uses that exact filename (minus any reverse path mapping) for the .Clip. So the LD just needs a ButtonControl to "Set range to still image". Or, to be more consistent in the current GUI design, an additional context menu for the trim that goes below "Autodetect clip length".

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Post by intelligent machine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:09 pm

...just throwing this up real quick to add to @Chad's suggestion:

For those crazy people like me out there that don't always render out image sequences starting at 0000 -> The button script would need to look into the containing folder in order to get the first file name in the matching sequence, use a bit of regex to extract the frame numbers and then subtract the first frame from the selected frame in order to get the trim frame...and also check the "loop" box.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

That's what happens when you hold shift, though, right?

The point is that you don't have to use shift to use this setup, though you could (because it's easy). It just means that Fusion currently does everything it needs to to allow you to convert to a still image loader after you've already dragged the file in, since the .Clip stores the needed information. It's even saved in the comp file, so you could do it weeks after you dragged the file in.