Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Polyshape Fuse

SteveWatson
Fusioneer
Answers: 3

Polyshape Fuse

Post by SteveWatson » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:02 am

Hi,

needed a simple polygon shape and I couldn't find a simple way of creating one in fusion so created this. Using stuff from rounded rect and looking at Dunn Lewis' fuses.

Goes from triangle to isocahedron(20 sides) because after that it pretty much looks like a circle. Can be solid or outline, outline can be animated - writeon and off plus offset. The subdivision on the sides is for writeon off etc.

Might be useful for someone else.(Someone will probably post a 1 button click in fusion that does exactly this, but I couldn't find one).
PolygonShape.Fuse
Here's a quick video of it in action.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shem Namo
Fusionista

Re: Polyshape Fuse

Post by Shem Namo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:02 am

This look really cool.
Definitely useful!!
Is it going to be in Reactor?

Thanks,

Dunn

Post by Dunn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

@SteveWatson Nice one man ! & thanks for the shout out :cheers:

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 am

Shem Namo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:02 am
This look really cool.
Definitely useful!!
Is it going to be in Reactor?

Thanks,
Hi,

when I'm sure it's not going to do terrible things I will submit it for reactor. Also in middle of another project so still on resolve 16.1 - watched a video today and noticed that in 16.2 there are new controls on the polygon(the proper one) for length and position which are new, but that they are different to the writeon/writeoff controls which seemed to be standard for that type of control before so I don't know i the paradigm is shifting for that type of control.(also noticed there are those controls on the rectangle now which makes rounded rect pretty redundant).
Dunn wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am
@SteveWatson Nice one man ! & thanks for the shout out :cheers:
Going through your fuses is a great way of learning stuff - in this case how to fill a shape - the key was seeing the shape:Close() method you used. (unfortunately the vfxpedia reference on the shape methods is missing).

Thanks.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 8

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 am

SteveWatson wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 am
noticed that in 16.2 there are new controls on the polygon(the proper one) for length and position which are new, but that they are different to the writeon/writeoff controls which seemed to be standard for that type of control before
I hadn't noticed these before but those appear to be a really useful addition for MoGraph work! Especially when working with imported SVGs or other shapes.
Up until now you had to add paint tools and link stuff to each other, in 16.2 you can animate the masks themselves. And you're right, they're not 'write on' 'write off' but the controls can work that way. You can set length to 0.1 for example and then move the position of that 10% on the polyline with... position. Which is effectively the same control as 'displacement' in a path and I really, really, really, really hope that this means that we can finally, finally, finally line up the head of a drawn line to the position of something on a path. This has been one of the most illogical and difficult things to achieve since the 'write on end' of a polyline in Paint never matched up with the displacement of a path, even if you linked them together. I'm so excited, I'm going to have to try this... right now! Out!

Added in 14 minutes 50 seconds:
UPDATE: nope. This new addition did not fix this longstanding issue. Bummer.

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:27 am

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am
SteveWatson wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 am
noticed that in 16.2 there are new controls on the polygon(the proper one) for length and position which are new, but that they are different to the writeon/writeoff controls which seemed to be standard for that type of control before
I hadn't noticed these before but those appear to be a really useful addition for MoGraph work! Especially when working with imported SVGs or other shapes.
Up until now you had to add paint tools and link stuff to each other, in 16.2 you can animate the masks themselves. And you're right, they're not 'write on' 'write off' but the controls can work that way. You can set length to 0.1 for example and then move the position of that 10% on the polyline with... position. Which is effectively the same control as 'displacement' in a path and I really, really, really, really hope that this means that we can finally, finally, finally line up the head of a drawn line to the position of something on a path. This has been one of the most illogical and difficult things to achieve since the 'write on end' of a polyline in Paint never matched up with the displacement of a path, even if you linked them together. I'm so excited, I'm going to have to try this... right now! Out!

Added in 14 minutes 50 seconds:
UPDATE: nope. This new addition did not fix this longstanding issue. Bummer.
Hi,

just installed resolve 16.2 on my laptop. Though the issue you mention isn't resolved being able to animated the length of the svg is a useful addition for, as you said, motion graphics stuff.

EDIT: after playing around a while I really do see what you mean.(and why there is a thread about importing SVG properly). After eventually getting an illustrator SVG in looking correct, I can't find any way to get that polyline to be used as a path properly. it's too small as a path and can't work out how to actually get it to get bigger - but that's probably for another thread completely.