In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

FogGlow

Rami

FogGlow

Post by Rami » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello everyone,

A new glow is now in fusion Town!
I introduce you to FogGlow, the badest most dangerous Glow in the land ..... well, it is dangerous because if you use it wrong it will be the slowest node you have seen in your life .... so use with care ! and on your own responsibility !

Now to the good stuff, first, here are some photos made with FogGlow

If Casper scared you but you liked what you saw then keep going! Otherwise you can leave but I can't promise that Casper will not visit you tonight! :twisted:

ehm ehm.... anyway so what is new in this Glow and why would you want to use it?
It is a single color FogGlow, that means when you feed an image in you will get a Glow tinted with one color that you choose from the color wheel(Fusion limitation, still investigating the issue..).
The overall look of the luminance Decay produced by this Glow is very similar to the one you get from Exponintial Glow only the core is smoother, kinda like an ExpoGlow with a smoother Highlight roll-off.
The Look produced with FogGlow Gives the impression of Dense Haze in the air like High Humidity or thick layer of small Snow particles.

In this image you can compare Fog left to Expo Right, you can bearly see the line between the two images because as said other than the Core it is very similar to ExpoGlow.

Speed:
It have shown none stable results, in some scenarios and with the right settings I was able to get it to render in a blink, much faster than ExpoGlow but with the same settings it takes some time in other scenarios. ExpoGlow was faster in most tests till now.
I will keep testing to find out what is happening here.
but feel free to experiment and feedback will be apreciated!

FogGlow manual:

Stay in the Controls panel, avoid the User panel if you don't know how to use it cus it will make things worse if used wrong.
Control panel:
The best way to use:
Start by reducing Quality to very low number, I did 0.1 for 4K image and got great result (the third image above).
Now connect an image, it doesn't matter what depth the image has just connect it and wait to see what you get, if you get white screen then lower the intensity till you get something reasonable. After that you can change the length and color.
length :this controls thelength of the Decay.
If you raise the length a lot you might get something that looks like Banding or stepping. to fix it try the BandingCleaner slider it should do the job.
raising this number above 0.9 will cause in longer processing time.
Quality controls:
the macro can be made faster but that will come with quality lose for sure.
samples: if you lower the samples you will get stepping and the Glow quality will drop this is the best way to make it faster to process.
QualitySize: this scales the image down before it gets processed.

User Panel
The threshold is the lower luminance threshold the Glow will process, I don't think it will ever need to be changed but it is there just in case. Lowring it will make the Macro slower so I recommend just leaving it as it is.
Gamma ad Gain have nothing to do with the gain and gamma of the image they can be used to clean banding.
Gain: in case the BandigCleaner couldn't clean areas close to the core of the Glow, then changing this value will help.
Gamma: should be left as it is. Only in the case after using gain you get a visible line here the cleaning ended then you might try changing gamma to fix the line.

Side notes (Further notes to come in the future so check here for future feedback):
Avoide using it on thin lines, best used on bold obects. [correction: it can be used on thin lines with the right setting ]
[real colors in the Glow turned out to be possible, just have to figure out a way to implement it because it is behaving weirdly atm]

Download and test. :mrgreen:
FogGlow V1.0.setting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rami on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 15

Re: FogGlow

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing! Looks rather lovely!

Moved this into Scripting, Fuses and Macros, but if you are actively developing it and looking for user feedback while doing so, you may want to have it in the We Suck Less Lab instead. Just let me know :)

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Hang on, wait - that Casper PNG is 16MB?!

Oh dearie me - would you please re-compress that a touch and consider using our Imgur option instead for images?

Thanks!

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 am

Moved Casper to imgur .
I will be developing it for a while so it would be a good Idea to move it to the lab. Thanks :)

Added in 22 minutes 38 seconds:
actually moved all images to imgur because I tried opening the post from another browser where I am not logged in and only the Casper image was visible. The rest were just a text.

Rami

Post by Rami » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:59 am

Status Update! The macro is not ready but a lot changed and it got much better!
-The Glow is now Colored and one color mode will be added and it will be slightly faster to render.
in The Image one is FogGlow The other is ExpoGlow, I will let you decide which is which ;)
-The Glow can deal with Fine objects like thin lines now.
-but still, it is better used for wide glows than for thin glows in my opinion unless used with mid to high settings.
-speedwise in 4K on my computer FogGlow was 1 second slower than FastExpoGlow in most tests but 3 sec faster than XGlow. That being said in 6K Fog Glow was almost 2x faster Than FastExpoGlow.
-to understand why FogGlow is faster in higher resolutions than other Glows one needs to know that unlike other glows FofGlow is not based on blurs but on Highlight, thus the performance is dependent on the count of pixels the macro has to highlight, and Highlight only processes the brightest pixels in an image (specified by range) on the other hand a blur must process the whole image pixel by pixel and that gives the edge to the optimized process of highlight. for sure if you try Glowing a white image it will be always slower, but that is never needed and makes no sense!
-Many Optimizing settings will be available in the macro once ready to allow the user to take full advantage of the Optimizing nature of FogGlow.
-Further features are planned and I will happily consider any suggestions .