In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

Tracker position changing spontaneously?

Moderator: SecondMan

jedmitchell

Tracker position changing spontaneously?

Post by jedmitchell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 am

Is there some reason why a tracker's offset would simply... change? without any modifications being made to the track or node? Or any of the keyframes, or any visible numbers on the tracker?

I've run into this issue recently where I'm doing some basic stabilize / paint out / match-move using standard Tracker nodes. Nothing special really, but in this case I need to select a specific reference time for the paint operations. When I'm copy / pasting the tracker node to de-stabilize I'll sometimes get an issue where the original tracker (the copy source) will suddenly have the offets changed, ruining the paint. I can manually move things back to where they were, but using the "Select Time" function in the match move tab does nothing, and there is no way I know of to manually enter the reference frame (which is an infuriating design choice). Setting the Reference to Start or End works as expected.

Using a Transform node connected back to the Tracker will sometimes break everything too. I have trouble describing this bug because it makes no sense and it can't be un-done. Once it happens that data seems to be gone and unless I catch it immediately I can't revert the project.

What is going on here? Is the modifier attached to the copy source being changed by the copy / paste operation?

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 11

Re: Tracker position changing spontaneously?

Post by Midgardsormr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

I am not sure about most of that, but the Reference Frame is always set at the frame from which you begin tracking. It can be updated using a script from Reactor, which comes with the TrackerPlus macro (which adds a button that runs said script). TrackerPlus also allows you track one frame at a time.

jedmitchell

Post by jedmitchell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks Bryan, I'll have to look into the TrackerPlus script -- I've tried using that atom in the past and had some problems. It was never critical enough to make me dig in to figure out why, I'm sure it's solvable with a little poking around.

As for the reference frame, I am always starting the track from the master paint out frame. Doesn't seem to matter for this bug? Or whatever it is, I'm open to discovering user error but like the reference frame not having a UI element (or more than a half-sentence in the manual which does not include that tidbit) it's hard to track down some of this stuff in Fusion.

For now I've just given up and am setting the offset manually on each tracker when they go nuts.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 am

Since I haven't seen your shots it's difficult to answer your questions. Starting a track from the 'master paint out frame' sounds logical - most of the time - but in the end that shouldn't matter if the track itself is good. The 'select time' button is deceptive, because it makes you think that clicking it will 'reset' the time to the time you 'select' but it actually means that it will use the frame when you added your tracker.

If your tracker loses track at a certain frame you don't always have to manually adjust, you can go to the frame where things went wrong and use the 'append track' function to build from there. This is also useful if you need to track items that dissapear off screen for a while, you can switch over until your pattern re-emerges.
Also, if you're using multiple trackers in the tracker (this is so confusing) you can seperately track/retrack them if you use the tri-state checkboxes. Unchecked means they don't get used, but checked and greyed out means they do get used, but won't change if you retrack (if I recall correctly).
So there are quite a bit of options to get things right. The things you describe don't happen to me that often, so there might be other issues at play.
If you want, you can DM me with the footage and the comp. Maybe I can help you along a little further. NDAs will be respected.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by SirEdric » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 am

Sander is right...:-)
TrackerOptions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 am

SirEdric's post is right, but be warned. In my experience fusion 9 win10 64b completely freezes roughly 50% of the time when you change those settings, particularly when turning the tracker to "used but not re-tracked". This has been a consistent problem for me for years - you get a frozen gui, and eventually the blue wheel of death (in win), and you have to close it externally and restart to get working again. And you lose the comp at that state - not good if you've just done an enormous track.

My only recourse has been to make sure I save before touching any of those setting. Haven't tried it with 16 yet as whenever I use it the GUI frustrates me so much I end up going back to 9.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 am

It helps to hide the viewer controls before changing them. The hang seems to be related to displaying the splines in the Viewer.

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:37 am

Yes, I've noticed similar crashes when dealing with splines in other nodes - every so often you'll move a bspline matte node and boom. Or move some handles in the spline editor and get the blue wheel. And it's worse if you're turning off a few (i.e. more than four) trackers in sequence. It's very consistent - I've just now had to open the same comp five times to successfully turn off four trackers without crashing.

But I'm not sure what you mean by hide the viewer controls. If I select my tracker plus node the trackers appear in the viewer no matter what node I'm displaying. And AFAIK you have to select the tracker node to get the controls up to turn the tracker off.

Given how often this happens and how clearly spline related it seems to be I'm a bit dismayed that BM hasn't fixed it. Or maybe they have in 16? Anyone know?

Added in 41 seconds:
Sorry, make that six times - just did it again. Grrr.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 am

Bsplines definitely seem to crash less in 16 FWIW.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm

JPDoc wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 am
But I'm not sure what you mean by hide the viewer controls.
Ctrl+K to turn off all Viewer widgets.