In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

VR headset for Mac - Oculus vs Vive? Experiences?

Moderator: SecondMan

howiem

VR headset for Mac - Oculus vs Vive? Experiences?

Post by howiem » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:16 am

Thinking of getting a VR headset to preview fulldome and VR stuff. I'm on a Mac, but can shift to Linux if necessary.

Both the Oculus Rift and HTC's Vive are apparently supported by Fusion and the Karta VR tools - does anyone have any suggestions / tips / experience to help me choose?

(the fact that Half Life 2.9 Alyx VR has recently been released has nothing to do with this, honest)

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 11

Re: VR headset for Mac - Oculus vs Vive? Experiences?

Post by Midgardsormr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 am

It's been a while since I was comparing them, but at the time, the Vive required a lot more space to operate. And it didn't have a counterweight on the back of the visor, which made it lighter, but still more fatiguing to use because it always dragged my face downward. The Rift feels a little flimsier—the Vive's build is very solid. I like the Rift's squeezers a little more—they feel very natural in my hands, but the button that summons the Oculus menu is a little too convenient. I find myself pressing it by accident when I get excited. Fortunately, a recent update added an option to require a 2-second press to activate the menu, and that's cut down on the surprise of toggling out of a game during the most frenetic battles.

As for compatibility with Fusion, I never used the Vive in Fusion, but it's more tightly bound to Steam than the Rift. Since the Rift requires its own system to run in addition to Steam VR, the performance might be a little slower than with the Vive. I've only done a little experimenting with Fusion's VR system at all. I've started it up and built a simple environment, just to see how it works, but I didn't go any further than that. I never figured out if it was possible to send a stereo signal. Also, be aware that there's no way of seeing the Fusion interface inside the headset. You can preview, but you will have a hard time making any changes without the ability to see the GUI.

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 6

Post by PeterLoveday » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 am

Just to clarify, fusion has direct support for oculus via the oculus API (windows only) and vive via openvr (cross platform). In theory the rift can be used via openvr too.

At this point in time, the vendor support for VR is a long way better on windows. If it's your main concern, and hardware is flexible, that's the natural choice. Otherwise, it's a little murky in terms of what works where at this point.

Oh also note that the quest via link will work, at least on windows.

howiem

Post by howiem » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 am

Cool - thanks for the info. Looks like the Vive may be a better choice for me at the moment then: the slightly better cross-platform support wins out.

Really it's just to get a better idea of whether the fulldome stuff I'm producing is going to make people sick: it's not going to be a perfect way to preview, but it's going to be more convenient than a Google Cardboard approach, and a little more realistic than using a flat-screen fulldome previewer app like Amateras. (Though for anyone producing fulldome stuff, the Amateras dome player/previewer software is a lifesaver - super quick to use, and the free version is all you need)

Fair chance, given the current climate, that I may have to convert my fulldome stuff to VR anyway; planetaria are likely to be off limits for a while ¯\_(ツ)_/¯