In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

MP4 Format H.264 XAVC -> solved

Moderator: SecondMan

eweinhold

MP4 Format H.264 XAVC -> solved

Post by eweinhold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 am

Hi,
i'm currently running in a strange mp4 import problem.

I got DJI Drone Footage in 1080p50 mp4 H264 XAVC.

On one older Workstation (windows 10 1909) i can open and render these mp4 in Fusion Studio 16.22 build 22.
On another fresh installed Workstation (Windows 10 1909) i can't open the same mp4 in the same Fusion Studio 16.22 build 22.
Resolve opens these files just fine on both.
VLC plays them just fine.

I reinstalled QuickTime Player on the fresh install (and rebooted) but no success :-(
the new Workstation won't open the mp4 (Loader1 failed to load file )
The Metadata on the mp4 on the Workstation that opens the mp4 displays:
Decoder = DXVA

i thought that Fusion doesn't use system libs to playback mp4.

what can i install to make Fusion Studio read these mp4 (again)

hope anyone got another idea what to try :geek:

EDIT:
#1 :idea: ffmpeg shared librarys works! :D

#2 OK i still don't know why it works on the old machine. :?: Well i know why, because the XAVC DXVA decoder is installed, but i don't know by which software it was installed. I reinstalled every peace of Software which is present on the old workstation, Handbrake, VLC, AVID Media Composer with XAVC Plugins but still got no luck.

Anyways the FFMPEG thing does work like magic :-) and now my fusion definitely sucks less :!:
THANK YOU Erik!
by SirEdric » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am
What I meant was, that with ffmpeg installed and mapped in Fusion you might have access to that codec (and many others).
Have a look here:
Go to full post
Last edited by eweinhold on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Re: MP4 Format H.264 XAVC

Post by SirEdric » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 am

Hmmmm....wild guess....
Is ffmpeg installed on your old system, but not on the new one?

howiem

Post by howiem » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:49 am

The XAVC codec must have got installed on the older machine at some point. It's not part of the QuickTime Player distro.

The DXVA "decoder" thing doesn't really help, it just means Fusion's using Direct X to accelerate the decoding, which seems sensible. So Direct X has acquired a codec from somewhere. You may have to look at what other packages the old machine has had on it to get some clues: but if all else fails, you can use VLC to transcode to something more generic. And that's never a bad idea with highly compressed video streams as it makes it quicker for Fusion etc to pull out individual frames. Bit of a pain though.

All these layers get quite confusing, XAVC is an extension of H.264 which is wrapped in an MP4 container thing... let alone that there are several variants of XAVC.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by SirEdric » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am

What I meant was, that with ffmpeg installed and mapped in Fusion you might have access to that codec (and many others).
Have a look here: