Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

EXR image is too large with cryptomatte. Have you ever experienced some problems when using it?

Moderator: SecondMan

VFX Grace

EXR image is too large with cryptomatte. Have you ever experienced some problems when using it?

Post by VFX Grace » Sat May 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Some friends of mine are the users of Fusion and blender. They told me that they wanna use cryptomatte but EXR must be 32bit and lossless. It's very hard to store, especially for sequence frames. :D To solve their problems, I’ve made a little tool that can compress the selected passes to 16 bit and export EXR images, and delete unused passes. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or you have encountered other problems with EXR compression. If so, please tell me. I'm gonna modify this tool to satisfy more people's needs. 8-)

gez
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Re: EXR image is too large with cryptomatte. Have you ever experienced some problems when using it?

Post by gez » Tue May 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Losy compresion and half-floats afaik make the cryptomattes unusable. It has to be full-floats.
Have you used a compressed half-floats files with cryptomatte sucessfully?

jirka
Fusioneer

Re: EXR image is too large with cryptomatte. Have you ever experienced some problems when using it?

Post by jirka » Wed May 20, 2020 2:17 am

Hi,
I met some troubles with cryptomatte speed. I try to get crypto as a separate file sequence, and kill the metadata from the loader early on.
Sometimes even prerendering masks to a more lightweight file, but that makes "synchro issues".
hth

VFX Grace

Post by VFX Grace » Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm

@ gez. You are right. I use this tool to compress all channels except cryptomatte. I tested that a 236 MB image can be compressed to a 29 MB image with lossless cryptomatte. My friends said it's pretty helpful for their workflow.

VFX Grace

Post by VFX Grace » Thu May 21, 2020 8:15 pm

https://imgur.com/NfTiMe0 This is a demo that a compressed EXR image can be picked color of crypto successfully. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.