Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Node editing

BrainSmashR

Node editing

Post by BrainSmashR » Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Looking for a way to alter the text variables for multiple text+ nodes at one time. Basically I have black text with a red outline. I want to make the outline blue and add a red shadow...but I don't want to do them all one at a time

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 27

Re: Node editing

Post by SecondMan » Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm

You can do this easily with the indispensable /for slash command (available in Reactor).

First you need to figure out what the exact parameter names are that you wish to set. You can do this by hovering over the controls in the Inspector and reading the names in the bottom left of the Fusion screen.

In the case of the outline color, if you are starting with the default red outline in Text+, you will see that the colour is set with these three controls:

Code: Select all

Red2
Green2
Blue2
(plus Alpha2 for opacity)

Now with /for installed, and the Text+ nodes you want to adjust selected, you can type the following in the console for red if you want to set it to zero:

Code: Select all

/for selected set Red2 to 0.0
Do the same for any other controls you wish to adjust.

I even made a little screengrab for you :)

In the Console, you can repeat the last command by pressing the up arrow. That's how I don't need to type the entire command twice.

Adding shadows can be done using the same principles. Enabling another Shading Element for it (hint: hover over that checkbox), and setting any other parameters to your needs.

Alternatively, keep an eye on (and/or try) the beta for the Batch Change Parameters script.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 14

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Batch Change Parameters can get it done, but there are so many controls in Text+ that it's unwieldy. It also doesn't detect the hidden controls that are revealed by enabling a new shading element, so you have to close it and relaunch for the new controls to show up.

/For is a better option for this job, in my opinion.

@Captain LeBuck suggested a script a while back that would attempt to build a facsimile of the control panel(s) for the selected tools. I haven't given it a great deal of thought—there have been more pressing and interesting problems to solve. It's still on my very long list of project ideas, though. If anyone wanted to work out how to make a UI Manager window that mimics a tool's control panel, I'd be happy to write the backend.

BrainSmashR

Post by BrainSmashR » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:54 am

Does this only work in fusion?
I'm trying to edit multiple nodes from the edit tab (in Resolve)...not sure what the stand-alone Fusion equivalent of the edit tab might be

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 am

In its current state it only works in Fusion standalone.
I am still not a 100% sure about this, since some things can be changed inside of Resolve, clips can be accessed seperately, but internally a Fusion clip is a seperate Fusion composition. So for example if you have a Fusion clip/macro then you can connect all kinds of values and parameters to each other within that macro (just like you could in a Fusion comp) but you cannot connect these across clips. At least not without scripting and maybe not even with scripting for that matter.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 14

Post by Midgardsormr » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 am

Ohhhh... From the Edit page? That's an even tougher problem. I've never done any scripting that was even targeted to the Fusion page in Resolve (although most do work there; I just don't write or test them for that environment). Scripting that works in the edit page is something I've never even touched. Maybe @Igor Ridanovic has some insight?

BrainSmashR

Post by BrainSmashR » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:44 pm

Yeah, so that's my issue. When showing the song lyrics on the video, I usually only have 1-3 text tracks, but each track may have 10-15 clips depending on the song... So if i decide I want to change the font or the outline color, I have to do it 20+ times...and god forbid I want to add an effect or it's already in 3D....then I have to go into Fusion 20+ times.

Long story short...thanks for the info

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05 am

This is of course a very specific use of Fusion in combination with Resolve. In your case I'd probably advice you to do just create a single Fusion adjustment clip that goes on top of everything. It shouldn't make too much difference in render time, since you're rendering everything as is anyway. And if you do this all the functions that you might want to connect to each other or change around will be accessible right in the Resolve timeline as well. Then if you change one thing everything will change, just as you want it to.

BrainSmashR

Post by BrainSmashR » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 pm

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05 am
create a single Fusion adjustment clip that goes on top of everything
Not sure what you mean here. I've adjusted opacity and used the lumakeyer so one clip could be seen through another, but no idea how I could have one to edit fonts and/or colors

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:33 pm

BrainSmashR wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Not sure what you mean here. I've adjusted opacity and used the lumakeyer so one clip could be seen through another, but no idea how I could have one to edit fonts and/or colors
And I'm not sure what you mean by this ;-)

I always thought you had a basic video to which you wanted to add titles for your lyrics videos. To do this you don't need to adjust opacity or use a lumakeyer, since Fusion's Text+ tools will happily create the alpha you need to put your titles on top of any video layer.

All I'm saying is that based on your screenshots, you have a lot of Fusion clips - I guess each clip does a couple of lines of lyrics - and then you add another clip with another set of lyrics etc. What I'm suggesting is that you add a single Fusion clip and change the text inside of the Text+ tool every time you need a new lyric to appear. This way you effectively only have one text tool, so you can change the way it looks and behaves for every lyric all in one go, since there is only one tool.