Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Image View limited to 8-bit?

Moderator: SecondMan

jedmitchell
Fusioneer

Image View limited to 8-bit?

Post by jedmitchell » Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Can't believe I never noticed this or thought to check, but is the Image View in Fusion limited to 8-bit display?

I recently set up 10-bit color on my GUI monitor and realized the interactive view was still banding. I can confirm my image stream is 16-bit float and the output is definitely 10-bit when viewed on my reference monitor via Decklink card, but in the standard UI it is apparently locked at 8-bit.

Has it always been this way and I just never noticed? Looked in the manual & around the forums here but I don't see this mentioned anywhere explicitly. There is the "dither" option in the viewers as a stopgap I guess, but want to make sure I'm not blind and missing a toggle somewhere...

Thanks!

Chad
Fusionator

Re: Image View limited to 8-bit?

Post by Chad » Tue May 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Your graphics card has to support 10-10-10-2 OpenGL. For Nvidia, that means a Quadro. I think AMD likewise gates that feature.

JPDoc
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Post by JPDoc » Wed May 20, 2020 1:52 am

I can confirm that 10bit view works with a quadro and 10 bit monitor - I've been using it for years.

jedmitchell
Fusioneer

Post by jedmitchell » Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 am

Interesting. Nvidia opened that up last year to the non-Quadro drivers. I'm getting 10b in all my other apps, just not in Fusion.

jedmitchell
Fusioneer

Post by jedmitchell » Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Okay, this actually seems like it must be a driver problem. I recently swapped to a new GPU & wiped the OS, it must be related to one of those factors because some other apps that I am certain are 10b capable are only displaying 8b. The Nvidia control panel is set up correctly but it appears that at least BMD software is not respecting those settings.

I thought I must have lost my mind, I've been staring at the Fusion viewer for 5 years and never noticed any banding. I have some driver issues to diagnose but at least I'm not crazy!