Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Simulated Data/Timecode Burn-In, multiple clips

cynematics

Simulated Data/Timecode Burn-In, multiple clips

Post by cynematics » Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi, there - Fusion newbie and first-time poster here, so apologies in advance!

I'm building some behind-the-scenes clips for social media in Resolve. One of these is a demonstration of the camera angles that were used during an explosion. I've been asked to add some data burn-ins to the small squares at the bottom which represent each camera angle to give them more of a "BTS feel" - however, I've discovered that Resolve's data burn-in function is limited to one active angle, and I'm trying to display four source timecodes simultaneously. So far, I've discovered that I can create a compound clip for each camera angle, and then add a Text+ node on the Fusion page to display timecode; but this will only display the timecode of the compound clip, rather than its contents. (I've attempted to take each clip on my timeline individually to Fusion, but for some reason, this seems to break the sizing and composite modes that I'd built in my Resolve edit page, whereas the compound clip method preserves them.) Yes, I can change the start time of the compound clip, but I've got speed changes on my timeline, and ideally I'd like for the timecode to reflect when the clips are playing in slow motion. Is there any possibility that I can access the source timecode within a compound clip via an expression?

I've included screen grabs of my composition layout and my Resolve timeline - the tracks that need timecode applied are 2, 4, 6, and 8, if that makes any sense. Thanks very much for any and all guidance!

ImageImage

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Re: Simulated Data/Timecode Burn-In, multiple clips

Post by intelligent machine » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am

What happens if you create new fusion comps for each from the source bins and then combine the original source and the fusion clip in the bins as a multi-cam setup and then replace in the Resolve timeline?

cynematics

Post by cynematics » Tue May 26, 2020 12:58 pm

I didn't futz around too much with the multi-cam scenario because I had an inkling that my speed changes wouldn't stick in that scenario, but thanks to your comment, I went back and made a fusion version of each clip, applied my timecode burn-in, and then rebuilt my sizing and speed changes back in the resolve timeline. Worked great! Still curious as to whether there might be a way to dig past the Fusion clip's timecode to the timecode of the embedded clips, but I don't imagine I'll have much need of that down the line :P Thanks very much, intelligent machine!

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pm

If the timecode shows up in the metadata, there's a good chance you can use that by using the metadata in your text tools. ( I can't remember *how* to do it from the top of my head, just that you *can* do it, if I recall correctly)