Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Fusion Studio 16 MasterPrefs & Env Variable Question

Moderator: SecondMan

FredP

Fusion Studio 16 MasterPrefs & Env Variable Question

Post by FredP » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Hi Everyone,

Having an issue with Fusion 16 and the MasterPrefs pipeline. This has worked for me in previous Fusion builds back to v5, but am having an issue with 16. I am currently trying to use FUSION16_MasterPrefs= and pointing to a prefs file, but the prefs are not being loaded when a user launches fusion for the first time.

I am not sure if the env name is wrong, (I have tried FUSION_MasterPrefs with same results), or if the formatting of the prefs file I am pointing too is wrong.

I cannot find any reference to env variables in the Fusion Documentation, and thought I would post this here. Is there a list of Env Variables available in Fusion Studio 16? Is there an example of the formatting of a masterpref example that I can reference?

Thanks All
Fred

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Re: Fusion Studio 16 MasterPrefs & Env Variable Question

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm

FredP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am
I cannot find any reference to env variables in the Fusion Documentation, and thought I would post this here. Is there a list of Env Variables available in Fusion Studio 16?
The UI Manager Examples Atom package in Reactor has a "Fusion Diagnostics Tool.lua" script that lists the most common Fusion environment variables including Fusion v16 entries:

https://gitlab.com/AndrewHazelden/React ... l.lua#L396

Added in 1 minute 37 seconds:

Code: Select all

FUSION16_PROFILE
FUSION16_PROFILE_DIR
FUSION16_MasterPrefs

FredP

Post by FredP » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks Andrew. This is exactly what I am using.

It has been so long since I have had to deal with this, I am wondering if there is a syntax issue with the file I am providing.

Are there any restrictions or formatting issues that Fusion expects the masterprefs to be in?
Can I create prefs in my local install of Fusion, save that prefs file somewhere and point to that prefs file for the master prefs?

Why can't I find this in the documentation?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 am

Why can't I find this in the documentation?
@FredP I don't have a good answer for that one. If you want to see more documentation happen, that is something BMD support, S.R., or P.C. could respond to if you talked with them directly.

A lot of really detailed and essential technical information can be found on the System Administrators Guide to Eyeon Fusion page, which has sub-topics on Fusion environment variables and per-user paths. Much of this now-deleted-by-BMD-corporate information is still able to be found on the time-capsule that is the WSL VFXPedia snapshot. That site was a goldmine for useful nuggets that has not found its way back into official guides for Fusion v16.x. :bmd:

From my view of things today, as an outsider, is the reply "The tail does not wag the dog..." an acceptable analogy? I see one aspect being that BMD's current (apparent) hot demographic target of YouTubers who rely on the Resolve Studio Fusion page to make title templates don't need this topic covered in detail... which means it's likely not a priority level 1 thing for BMD's documentation team to put time into.

The BMD core Fusion dev team has a lot of other critical things to focus on right now and COVID-19 isn't likely making things any easier to get new updates completed and shipped out. Unfortunately for the end-users, only those core Fusion dev people like P.L. or D.K. would have the depth of knowledge to answer these sorts of topics like master prefs usage or Fusion v16 environment variable changes. And pulling devs off their primary jobs of writing C++ code, over to having them make technical documentation means less time for them to work on better cross-platform GPU support, or on improving the overall stability of the toolset, as the things they need to work on each day.

Added in 21 minutes 40 seconds:
Bonus Tip: You are capable of pushing custom environment variables into the Fusion preferences file using Lua code like this:

Code: Select all

-- Tell Fusion Studio where to hunt for a multi-user license dongle on the local LAN network:
fu:SetPrefs("Global.EnvironmentVars.FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER", "192.168.1.12;*")
fu:SavePrefs()

FredP

Post by FredP » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks Andrew . I had referenced the WSL VFXPedia Snapshot.

I even tried the simplest of examples from that page :
{
Global = {
Network = {
IsRenderServer = false,
},
},
Locked = true,
}

Specifying this text file as a master prefs and launching fusion, and the setting is not locked when fusion launches.