Support for ".precomp" files from 3D applications in Fusion?

Moderator: SecondMan

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Support for ".precomp" files from 3D applications in Fusion?

Post by TogTobias » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm unaware if this is possible in Fusion at the moment but I figured I'd ask here. The link below details the process of building "precomps" from a 3D host application that essentially sets up the scene in a compositing application like Composite. I would like to know if this is supported in Fusion and if not, can we make it happen? At first glance it looks like quite a powerful feature to have.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/20 ... r=d30e6169

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 3

Re: Support for ".precomp" files from 3D applications in Fusion?

Post by SecondMan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Depends what the files are, but if they are ASCII you could just parse them with a script and build a comp from there.

Also reminds me of https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... ?f=8&t=428

I don't know if that is the sort of thing you are looking for?

ISOTRON
Fusioneer

Post by ISOTRON » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:51 am

its not easy to develope for every kind of 3D app, and any kind of workflow. But for now, we are using following workflow.
- decided wich passes we want to use out of the Vray Render.
- building up a preset comp, wich all layers combined to becomes the beauty pass
- renaming the loader to its pass names.
- and then i wrote a script , to replace all passes with a different source

i can share it, but as i wrote above, its depends on our workflow.

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:34 am

ISOTRON wrote:its not easy to develope for every kind of 3D app, and any kind of workflow. But for now, we are using following workflow.
- decided wich passes we want to use out of the Vray Render.
- building up a preset comp, wich all layers combined to becomes the beauty pass
- renaming the loader to its pass names.
- and then i wrote a script , to replace all passes with a different source

i can share it, but as i wrote above, its depends on our workflow.

Sounds like it may be close. We do renders in a very similar manner out of Vray for Maya 2016.

xmare
Fusioneer

Post by xmare » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:44 pm

there was a fusion script for MegaTK shader back in the days (written by Gabor L. Toth), perhaps You could dissect that for Your purpose ;)

also there is a Maya2009 Multipass loader script, written by Thorsten Scholz; do check that ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:04 pm

did this "precomp" stuff anybody ever used? never heard of it.
doesnt sound like a bad idea, but every pipeline is different and so everybody had build its own solution or with no scripting starting each shot from scratch.

i think it aint hard to build a "automatic" comp file from you current renderscene, but it has to be specific for each 3d app and renderer.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:11 pm

RPManager for 3ds max let you make a Fusion comp from your passes. You just defined the order and operation and it would build it for you. The nice thing was that there was no predefined comp, it just built one for the scene with whatever passes you made and however you wanted them used.

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:29 pm

From what I read ".precomp" sounds like it was intended to be a kind of standard format. I know that both 3DS MAX and Maya can generate them natively from the render menu based on how your project file is setup. So all of your render layers and passes however you organized them. Seems handy and probably a great time saver than the manual drag and drop folders to loaders in Fusion. I do believe it is python based as well. I'm not a programmer. Just a hobby scripter honestly so this is a little above my current skill set.

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:31 pm

xmare wrote:there was a fusion script for MegaTK shader back in the days (written by Gabor L. Toth), perhaps You could dissect that for Your purpose ;)

also there is a Maya2009 Multipass loader script, written by Thorsten Scholz; do check that ;)

Very cool. I'll check this out but I'm a novice at scripting so it's probably above my skill set at the moment. Thank you kindly for sharing this. I appreciate it. :)

ISOTRON
Fusioneer

Post by ISOTRON » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:43 am

Hey, of course, my solution isnt out of the box, and need some coding for your pipeline.

my script checks the LoaderNames (reflection, diffuse...) and compare it with the files in the path u give.
If its a match, the Loader gets the source. If u need additional passes, just add a Loader to the flow, and give it the name of your renderpass.
But i need a trick, because of the passes f.E.: reflection and rawreflection, the script will find both, therefor i use casesensitive and change in Vray the pass to rawRefelection.
place the script in /scripts/Comp
Have a look at it, and let me know if it works for u.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks Isotron! Will do!