Realtime 3d features from game engine renders

Moderator: Chad

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Re: Realtime 3d features from game engine renders

Post by SecondMan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:37 am

Well, for starters, instead of just displaying the frames, all the date needs to come off the CPU and into system RAM so you can work with it. We're talking RGBA, position, normals, z-depth etc all in separate passes. That adds overhead and render time. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I'm not talking features or disagreeing with you (or anyone). For some reason my comment seems to come across as "you can't have this", but all I was wondering about was:
Kenzor wrote:Lastly I feel frame rate and features are two separate issues. I'd settle for a low frame rate if I can have more 3d rendering features.
This.

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:28 am

SecondMan wrote:
Kenzor wrote:Lastly I feel frame rate and features are two separate issues. I'd settle for a low frame rate if I can have more 3d rendering features.
This.
Yeah, I see it that way also. Obviously, the game devs are hacking away and optimizing the heck out of everything to get those games running beautifully at 30-60fps. That's not exactly what I would be looking for. But if I could get something some of those features running at 2-3 seconds a frame, I'd be happy. It would still beat waiting 30 minutes-1h a frame from 3d dept. I mean wasn't that the philosophy behind Uncharted Territory's water and fog? You get something that works for he shot ( not necessarily physically accurate) but does the job?

Kenzor
Fusioneer

Post by Kenzor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I'd settle for a low frame rate if I can have more 3d rendering features.
For example game engines don't a generate per pixel velocity pass because it's expensive.

However it's perfectly possible to generate a velocity pass using the GPU and the fusion team have already done it for us :)

Kenzor
Fusioneer

Post by Kenzor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Obviously, the game devs are hacking away and optimizing the heck out of everything to get those games running beautifully at 30-60fps. That's not exactly what I would be looking for.
Honestly Render pipelines are fairly well standardised by the GPU companies. Unity and Unreal are fairly generalised renderers to cater for a diverse user base. There just a shopping list of features for you to choose from, and you balance visual appeal vs performance. ( the 'hacky' stuff is normally gameplay related in my experience ). Its all well documented by NVidia etc because they want people do buy their graphics cards and do cool shit with them.

However there are LIMITS like polygons, draw distances, number of ai characters, physics calculations etc. When a game goes over these limits the framerate drops, and the player gets disoriented.

Clearly we don't care about hitting a consistent 60fps we just care about having reasonably interactive tools to comp with. So it up to us how much we throw at the renderer and how we manage our comps.
Last edited by Kenzor on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenzor
Fusioneer

Post by Kenzor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:00 pm

There's no reason why improving and extending the existing 3d renderer in fusion wouldn't let us keep the existing features we already have. But it would give us other ways of tackling the problem .

E.g. While I can use a velocity pass to do vector motion blur I tend to do DOF and motion blur directly in fusions 3d render node because I feel its quicker and prettier.

So while we can build a reflection cube out of multiple cameras. I'd like the option to use reflection probes, because the're a lot simpler to set up, and less prone to human error.

But in some cases I'm hurting for features that don't exist and are hard to fake. Like https://indicated.com/blackmagic-fusion ... n-blur-3d/

Parallax maps and tessellation surfaces for example are now fairly standard. These features could be added to the fusion renderer without effecting our existing tools or workflows.

Miltos
Fusionista

Post by Miltos » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:15 am

Speak of the devil! While we are discussing about game engine renderers, Adobe added C4D's renderer in After Effects!

New 3D renderer

Quickly and easily create 3D text and logos without leaving After Effects. Bend planes and extrude 3D text and shapes directly inside the timeline, backed by the power of Cinema 4D’s standard renderer. If you’re new to 3D, we’ve made it easy to jump in: control quality and render settings with a single slider, and work with the same camera, lighting and text animation tools you know and love.

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:42 pm

So would multi-GPU rendering fall under this thread..and be considered as a game engine feature? I know Chad had mentioned it in another "wishlist" post...

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:44 pm

I would say that's separate.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 am